Early Years Department
Children in the Early Years Foundation Stage have activities that are very closely matched to their diverse needs; consequently, they achieve exceptionally well. – OFSTED 2014
Our Early Years department provides an indoor and outdoor learning environment that is safe, rich and stimulating. All our children access a sensory, broad and balanced Early Years curriculum and are offered a wide range of educational activities that meet their individual needs. There is a high staff to pupil ratio and our staff are highly trained to teach and support children with severe learning difficulties. We specialise with working with children on the autistic spectrum, severe learning difficulties and those with complex medical needs. The use of communication strategies is an integral part of the school day this includes the use of Makaton signs, Communication in Print symbols, Picture Exchange Communication (PECS) and Intensive Interaction. A variety of teaching methods (including TEACCH) are used to ensure that all children’s needs are met. The children also have access to a range of multi-sensory rooms, including a soft play area, white room, dark room and a hydrotherapy pool.
At the core of all we do are our aims, these are:
- To provide a safe and stimulating learning environment, to meet individual needs.
- To provide a range of activities that will stimulate sensory exploration and encourage independent learning.
- To provide a foundation for future learning.
- To allow time to practice developing skills.
- To develop personal skills such as toileting, feeding and dressing.
- To give opportunities to make choices, problem solve and make decisions.
- To develop self esteem, respect for each other and for their environment.
- To have access to multi disciplinary agencies.
- To develop stable relationships with both adults and peers
My name is Suzanne Davies and I am the Early Years leader. Further, more detailed information about our provision can be found in our EYFS policy. If you would like to contact me please email me at firstname.lastname@example.org or by phoning the school on 01902 368045
Quotes from Early Years parents
“Since starting school his speech has come on so well that we are now starting to understand what he is saying. This is all down to your help and support.” (Nursery parent March 2017)
“The best thing I ever did putting my daughter in this school she is doing great and the teachers work so well with her and are all very supportive.” (Reception parent March 2017)
“Really pleased with the amount of progress and development my child has achieved, I am confident it will continue.” (Reception parent 2017)